Subject: RE: FLASH: OT Post (Star Office v MS Office)
From: Frederico
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 20:21:14 GMT

On 1/4/00 11:41 AM, Vega, Eric via VegaEDattvratings [dot] com, said:

> My
>concern (and I believe my VP's) is that of the 5,000 workstations we have,
>about 98% run office. We just dumped tons of cash into making sure we were
>compliant per Microsoft's license agreement. Now in the wake of all of
>that, to switch from Microsoft to Star Office would be tantamount to
>flushing all of that money. Not to mention the cost of the time involved to
>remove Office from all of those PC's to install a different one.

It's been awhile since I looked at the exact details of our MS site
license; they just changed it last Fall, I believe, anyway, but it sure
seems like you're allowed to sell your license, if you choose.

Not that you'd get every penny back out of it, but it is (or should be) a
saleable asset, thus not a total flush, if you choose to dump all or part
of MSO from some number of your workstations.

Also, I don't see it as a total flush, even if you keep it, since both
suites can certainly coexist on one machine (assuming MS doesn't choose
to play it's notorious dirty pool of app-breaking), and this would aid in
the transition period, assisting your ability to translate any
troublesome documents as Star scrambles to deal with each
translation-bug-report from you. You just use Star as your primary, MSO
as your backup, until you assess your needs, successes or failures, and
if all goes well, just let your MS licenses expire.

Regardless, money spent is money spent, it's only a psychological effect
that makes you see it as a flush, when a better tool with a better future
for your firm may be waiting for you to use.

Worst thing that happens, MS looks hard at losing 5000 licenses next time
around, and they make a bid more palatable to your CFO. (;

Actually, this is somewhat related to Flash (yeah! Right!); with the
upcoming SVG from Adobe well on its way, many a firm will have to decide
if MM continues to offer a better product worth keeping the investment
in, or if a transition to Adobe is warranted, or if both should be
maintained. Unlike your situation, what our peers are using will have
little to do with what we choose. Whichever tool works the best will get
our dollars. The way it looks, both will have different things to offer
(initially), so we'll be pumping out bucks for both.

Cheers

Frederico

~If you don't face up to your problems,
you get a big plastic cow in your room.~

--Doug

Win2000 -- for better or worse -- is on its way. . .

flasher is generously supported by...