Subject: FLASH: Re: color effect inside button (was: Re: )
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 17:38:40 GMT

At 01:27 AM 1/5/00 , you wrote:

>I facing a problem with editing buttons. The Problem
>is I paste objects to my flash file and then convert
>it to symbol and choose behavior button and the I
>select this symbol and click edit and I select up or
>over and insert keyframe and when I try change the
>object's color through instance I find it not
>availabel so can you help me please.
> Thank You
>____

The problem is that even though you have made the object into a symbol (a
button), the object _inside_ the button is the original object, which is
not yet a symbol. So really you need two symbols: one is the button, which
contains the object. The other is the object in the button. You have
started correctly, but once you open the button to edit it, select the
object and make it a symbol (probably a graphic). Once you have done that,
add your keyframes and you will be able to apply color effects to the
object. I often use this technique to build Flash. For example, I might
have a bird. I'll make it a button and call it "bird button." Then when I
edit the button the first thing I do is make the object within it (the
bird) a graphic object which I will usually name "bird button basis." This
helps me remember what is what in the library.

Now a favor to ask of you: when posting messages to the list, please use a
subject header that describes the problem. Thanks and good luck.

Marc Hoffman

Poison Dart Frog Media: Specializing in Flash Animation and Digital Audio
Production
Our latest Flash job is on display at <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/rickfrnd>
See our Flash portfolio at <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>
(featured in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn)

flasher is generously supported by...