Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash Player Printing
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 16:28:04 GMT

At 01:45 AM 1/7/00 , you wrote:

>My initial excitement at what seemed like another brilliant idea from
>MACR soon dampened as I tried to print two examples from their site
>(Macromedia's and HP's banner ads ). Working online they seemed to crash
>the system (Win '98/IE 4.7.2/Flash Plug-in 4.0.25), but in hind-sight
>they may just have been running reeeeeally slooooowly. Downloading the
>SDK and printing locally (HP Laserjet 8000 PS) from the example did work
>- but at about 10 mins. per page!!!
>
>Is this normal? If so, it's a great idea but totally impractical - can
>we expect an improvement soon?

Hi Jeff,

My old HP4P printer could not handle Macromedia's samples until I changed
my printer properties to set Spool Data Format to Raw and changed graphics
mode to Use Raster Graphics. Before I did this, I got print overruns and
the pages that did print were terribly messed up. After changing the setup,
the sample pages from MM took a very long time to print but looked pretty
good. I then designed a simpler print-from-Flash piece (a simple graphic
and a few lines of text) and it printed much faster and without problems. I
haven't tested if just one or both of the printer setting changes were
necessary.

I agree that if average users have to wait 10 minutes for a page to print,
it's not practical. And I wouldn't want to have to deliver a warning "Note:
this page will take a LONG time to print."
Marc Hoffman

Poison Dart Frog Media: Specializing in Flash Animation and Digital Audio
Production
Our latest Flash job is on display at <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/rickfrnd>
See our Flash portfolio at <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>
(featured in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn)

flasher is generously supported by...