Subject: RE: FLASH: Confidentiality agreements
From: David Giannetto
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 17:31:32 GMT

well, again I'm no web attorney but I have worked with them for my
clients. it is interesting that most web development falls under
Intellectual Property Law which is different than that brochure
you laboriously produced for your client.

the entire idea behind the site, its code, its art, its layout, etc
was all created by the web developer, not the client, so if the
client leaves the developer, the developer still owns all that
and can take it with him. unless he signed those rights away
before hand.

Sometimes, clients leave their developer only to later find out that when
the
developer registered the domain name, the developer now owns that too.
granted it may no be good business to do it to your client, and
you may be able to take him to court to get it back, but the end
result is that the 'former' developer holds your site hostage and off-line
while you battle it out. which is the kiss of death for an on-line
business.

web law is still in its infancy, it is a pretty interesting subject few know
much
about, even most developers and clients don't understand who owns what,
I'm not claiming to know it all either, but that's my understanding of it.

Dave