Subject: RE: FLASH: Get Property in Specifice Frame
From: Larry Eisenstein
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 18:22:08 GMT

Hi All,

Thanks Cheri, I'm still having problems
I think I didn't make it very clear what
I was trying to do...so here goes.

Parent MC "GuyOne" has a child MC "Hand"
In MC "Hand", frame 4 (labeled 'Punch'),
I placed a graphic symbol 'RightHand'.
I changed 'RightHand's behaviour to MC.
I named the instance "RightHandPunch".

I want to get the x position property
of "GuyOne/Hand/RightHandPunch" when
frame 4, (labeled 'Punch')is played.

I then want to compare this property
with the position of other MC's on the
stage. Some even embedded in
other MC's like the above.

I tried some of your suggestions but
remain confused. Should I abandon turning
the graphic symbols in specific frames
into MC's. Or is this the way to get their
properties to make comparisons and then
issue Tell Target commands.

I need this type of collision detection
power to make my game work.

Thanks for your help, Sorry If I'm asking
you to repeat yourself.
Larry

>Larry wrote
I want to get the x position of frame in MC /Hand

>Cheri Harder wrote

If I understand your question....you want to get the x position of a certain
"child movie clip" when it is at a specific frame of its action within
another movie clip?

Like you have a "Cat" movie clip on the main timeline, and a "Tail" movie
clip within it. You want to find out the x position of the tail at frame 4
of the Cat movie clip?

You will need to have the Tail send its position, not go get it. That is,
in frame 4 of the cat movie clip, do a Set Variable "TailPos" =
(GetProperty(Tail,_x)) then you can get the variable from anywhere. (Refer
to it as /Cat/:TailPos)

You can't get at it the other way around, as it is a "moving target" so to
speak.

I think where you have seen frames referred to with colons, (like in
"/MovieClip/:framename") is in a Call statement - that refers to the frame
actions of a specific frame (labelled "framename") within the MovieClip
instance.

HTH

~~~~Cheri Harder~~~~~
charderatawsolution [dot] com