Subject: RE: FLASH: .swf problems
From: Mats Persson
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 11:09:28 -0000

Paul,

This maillist server has been acting a bit funny during the past week or so,
so don't feel cursed. :)

To answer your questions:

1. All .swf files on the Mac will open with the Flash player if they are
still associated with Flash in their resource fork.

2. If your .swf file does NOT have this info in the resource fork, then they
will be automatically associated with QuickTime and hence the QT icon and so
on. You get the same with JPG's and other items that lack the resource fork.
(QT can handle a multitude of formats, and therefore acts as a standby
'interpreter' when the 'real one' is missing.

3. As for your projector connection. Well, I don't know, this doesn't make
complete sense. The only thing I can think of is that it open up the Flash
Player application (your so called projector) and shows the .swf in there.

4. This has nothing to do with Eudora or any other program. There is no real
sure default version for a .swf on the Mac, since it has multiple version to
open it.

5. Yes, you can change the file association of .fla's and .swf's. Just go to
www.flashkit.com or www.were-here.com and look for "FlashTyper 2". This
handy freeware gives you two drop icons which changes the file association
for you in a flash.

6. If you wish to ensure that someone on another computer can view your
flash file, then you have two options.

a. Projector version. = Either a Mac or PC projector must be sent to the
other person. So you need to know their computer and then send them the .exe
or Mac projector.

b. HTML version = Include the .swf with a HTML file that loads the
presentation.

The easiest version of all of this is to send the end user an e-mail with
the URL to your presentation and then everything should work OK.

7. Processor speed & RAM and graphics and browser version, or a combination
of those. Look at MM's site and I'm sure you'll find some further info about
it.

Hope that helped you

Mats