Subject: FLASH: Need crash info from Mac Flash users
From: Frederico
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 15:55:56 +0100

Hello Folks,

I'm trying to help Jason and a few other Mac users who've been crashing
in Flash. With most, I've already cured their woes with simple RAM
techniques, maintainence and reconfigurations, but at least Jason can
still produce repeatable crashes when working in properties. The major
variation on his theme is that he is using the French OS.

I'd really like to hear from *any* Macintosh Flash users who see any kind
of crashing at all in Flash, regardless of version, and what area or
action, specifically, will produce a likely crash. I also think this is
pretty relevant to this list, so go ahead and reply on list so all can
see that they may not be alone (I hope I get as few replies as I'm
expecting!!), and so we might reach resolution for one and all. Just to
let you know, we work on some pretty complex files with pretty large
configurations and rarely see a crash we can blame on Flash or the Mac
itself, so be encouraged to know that you shouldn't be having any real
problems, assuming you are configured properly.

Please supply the following info (use Apple System Profiler 2.2 to
create a text report of the System and hardware to paste in if you're not
sure how to get each item, but be sure to get the specific ones as
indicated):

Model: (e.g., G3 Beige)
Manufacture or purchase date: (e.g., Aug 98)
Processor: (e.g., 300MHz)
L2/L3 Cache value: (e.g., 1MB L2)
RAM installed: (e.g., 256MB)
ROM version: (e.g., $77D.45F2)
VM #, on or off: (e.g., VM On 257MB)
OS version: (e.g., OS8.5.1 Japanese<--critical that you specify, even if
USA)
Active enabler: (e.g., None)
Memory used by OS: (e.g., 31.2MB, [from 'About This Computer...'])
Flash version: (e.g., Flash 4, French <--critical that you specify, even
if USA)
Flash memory allocation: (e.g., 50500k or 50.5MB [from 'Get Info'])
Drive-type of system/Flash: (e.g., 6gig ATA/ 4.3gig UW SCSI[from 'Where'
of 'Get Info'])
Driver version(s): (e.g., v8.1.2 [from 'Where' of 'Get Info'])

List a specific set of actions or features used that will produce a crash:

Do you have other applications open at the same time?:

Does the crash more likely occur after using the Mac/Flash for a period
of time? How Long? Or is it immediate if you perform the right steps?:

Can you reproduce the crash running no other applications, with *only*
Mac OS Base Extensions, and FileSharing, Appletalk, OpenTransport, and
TCP/IP turned 'OFF'?:

When you crash, do you get an error number? Does it crash the whole Mac?:

Does it help reduce frequency of crashes to delete the Flash prefs and
Flash Colors files?:

Do other applications crash your Mac, and if so, which ones/versions and
how frequently?:

Do you have any peripherals installed?: (e.g., USB Zip, SCSI Agfa scanner)

Have you installed, or did Apple install a SCSI adaptor card? Additional
graphics card? Other cards?:

Have you installed any firmware or other specific updates, such as
graphics drivers, USB drivers, etc? What versions?

Any other information you care to offer, such as what you can do to
prevent a crash?:

Frederico

~If we all did the things we are capable of doing,
we would literally astound ourselves.~

--Thomas A. Edison