Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash: is: more Mac troubleshooting, and an apology was: Re:Flash crash
From: Frederico
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 20:55:27 +0100

On 7/26/1999 11:10 AM, Virgil Vergara via virgilathawaii [dot] rr [dot] com, said:

>> I too had some serious memory leak problems with the Mac and 8.6. However,
>> I think I may have solved it by running Ram Doubler 8 with Filemapping
>> turned on. I've also heard you can set Virtual memory on at one meg over
>> the installed memory but I prefered using Ram Doubler and it doesn't use up
>> valuable harddrive space.

RAM Doubler uses disk space, too, it just doesn't drop an invisible
filemap that takes all the memory at once as VM does. Using RD on a disk
that has too little free space can lead to crashes when new files are
written where RD is mapping.

You may want to benchtest identical disk-intensive F4 operations with RD,
and then VM under 8.6. I think you'll be surprised how far VM has come
since System 7. Just be sure your drive is optimised (or at least
defragged) before you make your marks.

>> My main problem was with Photoshop running with Illustrator 8 and it keeps
>> telling me that I can't save my file because too many windows are open.
>> Yikes! Somehow and hopefully Ram Doubler will prevent that from
>>happening.

As Seinfeld would say in a bad Brit accent, "Not bloody likely!"

Seriously, that error is often derived from other issues. It is
definately a different issue if the message is, ". . .too many files
open. . .", not, ". . . too many windows. . .". If windows, not files,
you really should take advantage of the ridiculously low RAM prices right
now and increase your physical RAM, even though you'll want to leave VM
or RD on for stability issues.

If "files", you need to reduce the number of fonts/extents/files/volumes
open on your System, as you are hitting your 348 limit.

HTH

Frederico

~If we all did the things we are capable of doing,
we would literally astound ourselves.~

--Thomas A. Edison