Subject: FLASH: FlashForward2000 rocked
From: Chris Lane
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 16:37:24 +0100

I just got back from the FlashForward2000 show and it was the best thing
I've been to in a long time. Here are the main highlights I took away that
might interest others on the list:
1. Flash 5 is going to be huge. The Number of Actionscript commands has
jumped to over a hundred including math functions and new JavaScript-like
dot conventions which will make it much easier to program. Yeah I know...
your all thinking "what a propeller-head" but this will put Flash on par
with Director on the language end.
2. The Flash Generator templates (which are plug ins for the Flash
development environment) are free and downloadable from
www.Macromedia.com/software/generator. Chrissy Rey did a great presentation
which indicated that you can use some of the Generator Templates to make
things like quick drop down lists and incorporate them into your swf file
without Generator even being present on the server (sort of quick templates
for Flash even though they are in the Generator templates).
3. The ability to run Flash on Web Devices (write it once, deliver it
everywhere) is going to become something that will be a mandatory skillset
for all of us (ask Flash the question "what device and I sending to" and
then customize the output). Phillip Torrone of Braincraft did a great
presentation on this.
Oh and one other thing.... they talked to us, they fed us, they gave us
shit... its been so long since I've been treated as a human being and hey,
it was NYC. Flashforward2000 rocked... congrats to Lynda and Stewart and
all those who made it great.

Chris Lane
Computer Multimedia

P.S. Brandon... you're great, Joshua... you're great (and I want your job),
Josh... you're great (and there are things you can do about that bald spot),
Yugo... you're great (but I couldn't understand a word you were saying).
P.P.S Macromedia... get the Generator Enterprise licensed to ISP's quick.
Most of us out here in the real world don't control the server the end
result runs on... your killing us.

flasher is generously supported by...
shockwave.com and Electric Rain.
1.877.4.FLASH.4 or (1.805.640.6679 outside the US and Canada)
Register before June 30 and save $200!!-- www.flashforward2000.com