Subject: RE: FLASH: FlashForward2000 rocked
From: Chris Lane
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 01:00:59 +0100

On Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 "Michael J. Weldon" <mjwbatix [dot] netcom [dot] com> asked:
<snip>
Tell me, was the presentation Phillip Torrone of Braincraft gave the one
that displays their
on-line Flash based banking system?
</snip>

Michael,
Yes the Braincraft Flash based banking system was seen often at
FlashFoward2000, including at Macromedia's Flash 5 demo booth where I spent
as much time as I could. But the "Flash and Generator on Web Devices and
Appliances" session by Phillip Torrone also had other great examples
including a sub-presentation from the Excite@Home folks which showed how
Excite is developing a Flash based player system which allows Flash to run
on Cable TV boxes. The really cool thing here is that Macromedia basically
gave the Flash source to the Excite development group who added
functionality (including the ability see the TV stream in a window) and will
give the new code back to Macromedia to distribute. So Excite claims that
any of us could call up Macromedia and ask for the Excite Flash player and
get it. Even more cool is the possibility that a sufficiently motivated
group can get the code to the Flash development system and player... I've
heard of the "open source/ open spec" claims that Macromedia has made
concerning Flash but this is the first time I've seen a group that has this
kind of access to the Flash source code (now this isn't saying that you or I
could get a hold of it, but it's is in all our interests to see Macromedia
willing to team with other groups to get Flash running on as many devices as
possible). Sadly, the official line on when we might see Flash on the Palm
is "still to be announced".

One other point I'd like to make about FlashForward which will hopefully not
change as soon as the words come out of my mouth (Lynda and Stewart are you
listening) is that the price of the conference ($995.00 at full price,
$895.00 or lower for early purchase) is such a great deal in our industry.
Just about every other national/international conference I've seen lately is
over $1500. I took JetBlue from Florida for $140 roundtrip and stayed at
the Park Central for $139/night, breakfast and lunch were provided by
FlashForward if you wanted them which still made the conference cheaper than
Microsoft's TechEd which I drove to in Orlando. So if you have any
time/budget for training... go to this show! They make the price accessible
and the speakers, topics, and interactions with other developers are just
excellent. Oh one other thing... the Adobe and Macromedia parties kicked
ass!

Chris Lane
Computer Multimedia