Subject: Re: Mime type problem
From: Jason Nugent
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 11:18:14 +0100

Hi Daniel,

cd into your /conf directory for apache and edit the file called
mime.types. Add a line like this:

application/x-shockwave-flash swf

then save the file and exit. Restart your WEB server (you don't
have to restart Unix) by doing this:

cd into your logs/ directory (if you are still in /conf, you can
get there by typing cd ../logs

and then type:

kill -HUP `cat httpd.pid`

You might have to be root to run this, if the web server is
running on the default port of 80.

Hth, Jason

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998, Daniel wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am having a strange problem and am not sure of the best fix.
> I exported a flash3 movie (.swf), added it to my index page
> (using dreamweaver), and then uploaded the site to my apache
> server.
>
> when i preview the document in dreamweaver, the flash movie
> works great.
>
> but when i publish the site and go to look at it with netscape 404..
>
> I get the puzzle piece telling me i need to download a plugin.
>
> it wants me to download a html/text plugin from Macromedia.
>
> I can only guess that the problem is that i dont have the .swf
> mime type added on my apache web server...
>
> If this is the case, could someone explain to me how to add this mime
> to my server? I understand the logic...just dont know EXACTLY how to do it
> for apache yet.
>
> If i am having a different problem, could someone please clue me in...
>

> Thanx
> Daniel

Jason Nugent, BSc(Hons)
ap958atchebucto [dot] ns [dot] ca "This is who we are."
jasonatirt [dot] org
Certified Webmaster

Visit IRT.org - Internet Related Technologies - http://www.irt.org
Articles on all aspects of internet development, including -
CGI/Perl, CSS, JavaScript, dHTML, Java, XML, HTML