Subject: Re: ISP needs Flash site, chance for exposure
From: Marc Hoffman
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 22:14:38 +0100

Okay, my two cents' worth:

I've spent lots of time in my life (several decades, in fact) doing stuff
for free or cheap, for many reasons: to promote myself, to help a good
cause, to get a foot in the door. I still do it periodically. But I want
to say that my experience has been that it almost always leads to more of
the same: working for free or cheap. I've worked as a musician and as a
social worker, and both can be very discouraging fields unless you enjoy
living in near-poverty. Being underpaid can easily become a pattern that
undermines your self-esteem and makes life harder than it needs to be for
you and your family.

Clearly it's a personal decision to give your work away, but I'd encourage
people to steer clear of wishful thinking when weighing the pros and cons.
Please be realistic about what you are likely to gain, and don't be afraid
to value yourself and your work.

The other issue, as some of us have pointed out, is that working cheap or
free takes jobs away from others who work hard and need to make a living.
The argument that "someone's gonna do it anyway" doesn't change the ethics
of the situation. You don't have to do it, too. The more of us who give
away our work, the tougher it will be for everyone to get paid for an
honest day's work.

I'm glad this topic has been raised. We're all helping each other on this
list (for free, I would point out). Let's at least be aware of the effects
of our actions on one another.