Subject: Guild? (was: ISP needs Flash site, chance for exposure)
From: Rick Kasparek
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 13:53:35 +0100

I agree with the other responses to this note!

First off - the timeframe is ludicrous. Wonder what would've happened if
they told Michalangelo he had 2 weeks to finish the ceiling of the
chapel? - He had complete artistic control to come up with something
cool - but it took him a long and laboured time to even come up with the
design for the ceiling! Then came the task of the technical execution of
the design... Meeting the customer's expectations is one thing when you
know exactly what the customer wants - when you're guessing, it makes
for frustration and delay.

Secondly - I have a real problem with developers like us working for
free. This medium brings folks with a high degree of both artistic and
technical talents. Its not like using clip art and an html editor to
generate a page! We all become, in a sense, directors, producers,
artists... we're worth more than a simple trade for display space!

I'm glad to see some like minded individuals in this group, who care
about preserving the 'craft' of this relatively new medium.

Someone had mentioned earlier the thought of forming a Guild or trade
association for Flash developers. This list is an incredible place to
learn and exchange ideas, but IMHO, a Guild may in-fact be a great place
to provide a united front to the general public in order to educate them
regarding the artistic and technical talent required to make truly great
presentations.

FWIW - I'd gladly donate space for a Guild Site (as long as the guild
itself stays non-profit)...

Comments... Suggestions... Agreements... Coffee?