Subject: FLASH: BitMagic's Job Proposition to Flasher
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 18:36:10 +0100

Hi Flashers.

I wondered if this might be off-topic, but hope you will find it relevant
to the list, since it involves our livelihood as artists. A day or two ago,
there was a post here offering work with BitMagic, a web outfit in
Amsterdam. I replied to their post and received a long, form-email in
response (email me off-list, <mailatdartfrogmedia [dot] com (mailto:mailatdartfrogmedia [dot] com)> if you want a
copy). In essence they are looking for Flash artists to go all-out
producing short animations and they will pay only if they feel like using
the final product. This would be after several rounds of revisions at their
direction.

Following is my response to them; I hope it is helpful to you in thinking
about this and similar "offers" of work.

-Marc

================ (COPY) =================

Hi Derek,

I would be delighted to be a paid contributor to BitMagic, with some
clarification as to the financial understanding.

If I read your email correctly, you are asking for highly skilled Flash
developers to send you original animation ideas for your aproval and
direction. If you like the concept, you will invite them to develop the
piece further, and there may be substantial direction from you for changes
along the way. If the final piece meets with your approval, you will
purchase it for somewhere between $500 and $900. If you decide for any
reason that you do not want to use the piece, you owe the artist nothing.

It is not standard in the multimedia or graphics industry for artists to
produce content "on spec," that is, to create original work for a specific
purpose and then be paid only if the client feels like using it. Although
you might find some artists willing to work on this basis, I know of none
who will, and the Graphic Artist's Guild (among many others) considers this
sort of arrangement to be exploitive of artists.

I have provided you with a URL to a substantial portfolio of my work
(http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler). You are welcome to look this over
and decide if you want to hire my services. Although I do not work on spec,
I certainly guarantee that any work I do for you will be of similar quality
to my portfolio pieces. All the work I do requires a deposit at the outset
and the balance is due on delivery. I always include some client feedback
and final revisions in my job quotes.

I encourage you to look over my portfolio and to contact me if you want to
commission a piece.

Sincerely,

Marc Hoffman
Poison Dart Frog Media

At 12:58 PM 6/15/99 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi Marc --
>
>Thanks for your interest in BitMagic!
>
>Please allow me to give you a not-too-brief intro. Basically, we're a new
>entertainment company looking for talented flash illustrator-animators to
>contribute BitFlicks.

Marc Hoffman

marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com (mailto:marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com)
Flash3 Portfolio: <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>, featured
in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn.