Subject: Re: FLASH: OK to skip the Hit state?
From: John Croteau
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 07:31:15 +0100

Hi Margo,

> Does anyone know of a danger in not including a Hit state on a button?
It won't work as a button if there is no hit area. If you mean does it
need a keyframe and special hit area then the answer is usually it does.

> I read in two publications that you do not need to include a Hit frame in a
> Flash button;
This is of course wrong. What publications are you reading. Flasher by
Dummies?

> the Hit area will automatically be the same size as the
> largest object in another state.
This is totally incorrect.

> I have not been including a Hit state in
> Flash 3 and it seems to work well, but I'm wondering if there
> is a potential danger in this.
Loss of clients. Irritated visitors.

The button timeline works just like any other timeline in Flash and the
image (though not seen) in the Hit state is the same as the keyframe in
the hit area or the previous keyframe if there is no keyframe in the Hit
area.

The Hit image is never seen and defines the button's sensitivity to the
mouse in all of its states.

The hit area should normally be a fill in a rectangular or oval shape
that make hitting the button easy and intuitive. It should not normally
be defined by text or other objects with holes or irregular shapes. The
border should be removed from fills to prevent an occasional bug that
causes flickering at the edge of the border and its fill.