Subject: symbol button bug (?)
From: Colin Moock
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1998 17:00:06 GMT

I ran into a fairly annoying problem with symbol behaviour today. I'm
wondering if anyone has a work-around for it.

1) Make a symbol (just a single frame), and don't check "Button
Behaviour".
2) Drop a copy of the symbol onto your timeline.
3) Now suppose you change your mind...you decide you want the symbol to
be a button.
4) On the Library list, choose the symbol and then edit properties.
5) Check off "Button Behaviour".
6) Add the appropriate button frames to your symbol.

Here is the behaviour:
1) When you return to your movie, the copy of the symbol which you put
in your movie in step 2 above won't work as a button. It still thinks
it's a non-button symbol.
2) New copies of the symbol in the movie behave properly as buttons.
3) Old copies of the symbol now play through as though the button
frames were a four frame animation. To prevent this, you have to choose
"First Frame" as the play mode.

In the Levi's Canada site, we recently decided to make one of the
symbols a linked button. The symbol in question is in about 40 places
in the movie. I now have to reintegrate the symbol in each place, just
to get the button functionality. I have to redo all the tweens etc etc.
Yuck. I hoped this would take an hour, but it looks like it will now
take a couple of days.

Anyone else hit this problem before? Any workarounds?

Colin