Subject: <OT> (was: Re: FLASH: A good Orange?)
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 17:10:42 GMT

At 07:47 AM 3/17/00 , you wrote:

>In the color safe palette in Flash, the top row has some brilliant
>colors: yellow, red, green, blue.
>
>The rest of the palettes are nice as well. But I am working on a project
>that requires some stand out text headlines and the background color is
>000066.
>
>The Reds create too much of a color wavelength conflict for visibility.
>I was trying to find a vibrant Orange, but nothing stands out like the
>yellow. The closest I've seen is a gradient yellow to red.
>
>{The client is color blind and has trouble with reading greens on the
>blue field}.
>

>Any suggestions for vibrant orange?
>
>Jeff

Hi Jeff,

The Web-safe palette, as you probably know, has 216 colors. Each has a
value for red, a value for green, and a value for blue. Now here's the key:
the value for each color is either zero or a multiple of 51 (with 255 being
the highest value allowed). Now that you know that, you can play with the
values until you find a Web-safe value you like. Sad news is, what you see
in the Flash default palette already contains all those values. But it's
worth knowing in Web work. Also worth knowing are the hexadecimal
equivalents for the six values:

00=00
51=33
102=66
153=99
204=cc
255=ff

Marc Hoffman

Poison Dart Frog Media: Specializing in Flash Animation and Digital Audio
Production
Our latest Flash job is on display at <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/rickfrnd>
See our Flash portfolio at <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/portfolio>
(featured in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn)

flasher is generously supported by...