Subject: Re: FLASH: dynamic flash using php3??
From: RedStar
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 23:37:15 GMT

Jamie,

"Is it possible to use flash with php. By this i mean to make a flash
movie that pulls in text, images and other flash movies from the server
as requested by the user."

Yes it is possible.
Some recommendations. Start by checking out swift generator
http://www.swift-tools.com . I suppose you're working on a *nix server ?
OK.
Then you can also use this http://reality.sgi.com/grafica/flash/DOC.html
A good visiting place is also http://www.openswf.org/ .

I have some php3 classes that are in early alpha that can be used with
some aspects of this but unless you very good with php/unix they won't
help you much. The basic idea is to have a flash generating environment
under php control and have something like the imagegif or imagepng of
php. I could have done it with the Flash3 format specs but opted to try
it based on Flash4 format specs mostly because Macromedia said nearly a
year ago that it would be releasing these specs and also because they
include effective added value in relation to v3. We now know that this
release is a bit vague and I'll believe it when I see it. It has been
quite frustrating and at this point the two projects I had scheduled for
development , this one and a flash format export module for Mathematica
are more or less abandoned at the moment. But then again I guess
Macromedia knows what it is doing, right ?

.redstar.

flasher is generously supported by...