Subject: RE: FLASH: What drives the process- great design or great code?
From: David Jacobs
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 16:57:22 GMT

Despite the fact that my own failings touched off this debate, I do agree
wholeheartedly with Tom's post. I do have some concerns however, about what
is perceived to be good "design."

Have you ever noticed that the following are almost universal traits of
sites receiving the most accolades for "design"?

**Use a non-intuitive interface of abstract symbols, or better yet,
something strange that has to be figured out by the user.
**Use lots of random thin lines that scroll about for no particular purpose.
**Make sure the sight isn't about anything. If it advertises something,
don't make it clear what it is.
**Present as little content as possible. Text clutters the design.

Am I exaggerating? The "thin lines" thing is like a plague!

On another note, there are designers coming from the less limited medium of
print, and there are those who cut their teeth on the web. Granted, good
design is good design, but as one of the "designers" who learned within the
limitations of the web, it is difficult to make the transition. I have
always read that Arial-Helvetica and Verdana were the easiest to read web
font choices. For large blocks of text they were mandatory. There is a
definite learning curve for me as far as typography is concerned, as I have
literally never had to take notice of it except for graphics.

I'm sure there are many others having the same difficulty. We're suddenly
using this tool that has the layout power of publishing software, and we
have never learned how to use these.

Just give it time. I personally plan on being able to out-design Tom within
months. ; )

David Jacobs
Web Developer
Skywalker Communications