Subject: Re: FLASH: How can you Re-Set 'getTimer'
From: Matt Wobensmith
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 21:31:59 GMT

Hi there -

The value GetTimer can't be reset, as it is read-only and runs as long as the movie is playing. However, you can set variables equal to GetTimer at any point, and check/set/initialize them at any time you wish.

I made a TechNote that will show you how to make a timer, as you described. It will work after multiple uses. It's at:

http://www.macromedia.com/go/14207

HTH,

Matt

---------------
Matt Wobensmith
Macromedia Tech Support
Flash Team Lead

----------
>From: owneratchinwag [dot] com (flasher-digest)
>To: flasher-digestatchinwag [dot] com
>Subject: flasher-digest V1 #2699
>Date: Mon, Mar 20, 2000, 1:10 PM
>

>Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 15:29:36 -0800
>From: "JGL" <infoatdesignthenet [dot] com>
>Subject: FLASH: How can you Re-Set 'getTimer'
>
>Hi all -
>
>I am using this piece of code (thanks to Brandon:)) to cause a pause for a
>button before it goes to it's destination. The reason for the delay is
>because once at "buttondestination", some processor intensive animaton
>occurs. The button, itself, 'on press' has processor intensive animation.
>This workout helps alot when viewing with PC processor speed of 233 or less
>(that's the smallest I have for testing).
>
>My problem is that if you go back to where you are able to click the button
>again, this code will not cause the delay :( - I guess because the timer has
>been cruising the whole time.
>
>What can I do - reset the timer? - if so - how? Or is there some other
>solution?
>
>Anyway -
>The frame the button goes to has this action:
>stop
>set variable: "startTime" = getTimer
>
>A MC called countDown with two frames, where the 2nd
>frame is the exact same as the first. The code in the frames is as follows:
>
>if ((getTimer-/:startTimer) > 30000)
> Begin Tell Target ("/")
> Go to and Play ("buttondestination")
> End Tell Target
>end if
>
>An instance of countDown is placed in the frame where the button goes.
>
>TIA
>
>JGL

flasher is generously supported by...