Subject: Re: FLASH: Reducing nodes
From: Daniel Brown
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 02:48:12 GMT

> Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 12:41:11 -0800
> From: jdowdellatmacromedia [dot] com (John Dowdell)
> Subject: Re: FLASH: Reducing nodes
>
> At 10:50 PM 3/20/0, Péterffy Áron wrote:
>> Hi, I've some scanned, then traced graphics. My problem is, that the even
>> with fine-tuning the tracer, it creates a lot of nodes (points, etc.). In
>> Corel I can use Auto-Reduce, and it's OK - but I have to ungroup the object,
>> and reduce the nodes by shapes... and that's a bit time consuming. (Even not
>> as bad as modifying the nodes one-by-one)
>> Can Illustrator / Freehand / StreamLine do the same? Maybe with a few click
>> (on the object)?
>
> Yes, when you're tracing bitmap art to vectors, then reducing the total
> curve count is very important... you've identified a critical area.
>
> Many tracing tools optimize for print purposes, and don't care about the
> needs of web delivery. There's still a bit of a split between the print and
> web world.

Indeed. The level of precision necessary in the print world is a bit of
overhead for the web.

> Random notes:
>
> - -- You can get rough tracing in Adobe's Illustrator, but for finer tracing
> there you'll need to purchase Adobe's Streamline, and then likely a plugin
> for removing extra points that aren't needed for web work. If using this
> route, be sure to use the free FlashWriter plugin from the Macromedia site
> for faster workflow.

StreamLine will allow you to batch-outline several images, adjust
posterization settings in real time, adjust curve tolerance, etc. As for
needing a plug-in, I'll need to send John a copy of Illustrator 8.0. We have
a tool that lets you selectively reduce the number of points in a path so
you have control over where you want to optimize the points.

db

| / \ | D a n i e l B r o w n danielbatadobe [dot] com
| / \ | Evangelist, Internet Products Group
| / /\ \ | Adobe Systems Inc.
| / /_ \ \ | 345 Park Avenue
|/_____|_\__\| San Jose, California 95110-2704

flasher is generously supported by...