Subject: Re: FLASH: livemotion?
From: Michael Dunn
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 18:56:28 +0100

>From what I saw, my impression was LiveMotion would be a good tool to work with
Illustrator or Photoshop files and convert to Flash-friendly use. For example, a
native photoshop file with layers opens into LiveMotion with each layer as a
separate channel that can be edited, animated, etc. independently. Yes, this is
going to make a large file, but it's bitmap, so Flash is gonna choke on it to.
But flash won't recognize the layers. With Illustrator, it can import layers as
a separate frame, so instead of 8 separate illustrator (not eps) files being
imported, you can import one file. The ability to target specific properties for
each element independently on the timeline is also nice, and the editablilty of
them. ie You can set the alpha, scale and rotation of an object, aply it over
time, stop the alpha change, continue sizing, change the text, etc. all in one
pass. Nice. Still, it's just another tool. It's like having both Freehand and
Illustrator on your computer. I mainly use Illustrator, but there are a few
times I'll dip into Freehand to use an effect it offers, then I'll import that
back into Illustrator and continue. I think the future will be the same for
flahs and LiveMotion. It'll be a preference (like Mac vs. PC) that'll become a
war over which is better. Each has it's place, will continue to have it's place,
and by ignoring one in favor of the other will only hurt the artist. It's like
saying I can simulate watercolor with oils. Why not just use watercolors?

my 2 cents

--
Michael Dunn
The Merica Agency