Subject: Re: FLASH: livemotion?
From: John Dowdell
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 21:22:09 +0100

At 9:35 AM 3/30/0, Michael Dunn wrote:
>>From what I saw, my impression was LiveMotion would be a good tool to
>>work with
>Illustrator or Photoshop files and convert to Flash-friendly use. For
>example, a
>native photoshop file with layers opens into LiveMotion with each layer as a
>separate channel that can be edited, animated, etc. independently. Yes, this is
>going to make a large file, but it's bitmap, so Flash is gonna choke on it to.
>But flash won't recognize the layers. With Illustrator, it can import layers as
>a separate frame, so instead of 8 separate illustrator (not eps) files being
>imported, you can import one file.

FreeHand and Fireworks have done this type of thing with various Adobe file
formats for awhile now, splitting "layered" files or converting these to
animation before exporting to SWF.

It hasn't been as much a priority for the Flash authoring tool itself,
because (as you point out) it tends to be dysfunctionally large when
delivered. But if you find that this could actually make a difference in
your daily work, then could you drop a note to wish-flashatmacromedia [dot] com
saying "I'd like to drag PSD5 and AI8 files into Flash with the option to
turn each 'layer' into a separate symbol and optionally animating them",
please? That would let the dev team gauge any change in interest for this
ability, thanks in advance.

jd

flasher is generously supported by...