Subject: Re: FLASH: Macintosh problem
From: John Croteau
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 15:33:22 +0100

Hi Teresa,

> I'm just a beginner but my first problem has nothing to do with flash
> but with the way it's embed in HTML. I´ve done several pages and a
> friend of mine working on mac with Communicator 4.5 doesn't see my swf
> 's though she is able to see them locally.
> Will somebody with mac and communicator or IE check this site?
> http://www.flash-es.net/intro.htm
The problem is the MIME is not set.

MIME is required to be set on the server for all file types and is used
with all browsers except MSIE Win 95/98/NT.

Failure to have the MIME set properly can result in some visitors
getting a blank picture or other symptoms including crashing browsers. A
visitor who gets one of these symptoms is rarely happy and most often
just goes away. This is something most of us want to avoid.
Unfortunately, since Flash is relatively new, many servers do not have
the MIME set for Flash and this needs to be taken care of.

Another problem is just viewing a site does not tell you whether or not
the MIME is set properly. There is no way to tell which visitors are
going to have problems or even what problems they will have if the MIME
is not set. Two different visitors with identical browsers can get
completely different symptoms (including seeing a normal picture).

You should get the ISP or web server administrator to set the MIME type
for Flash before a site goes live. Meanwhile, if your MIME is not set,
please warn the list members when you post here that it is not set --
since it has this tendancy to give these erratic viewing results and
occasionally will crash browsers. Warning us that the MIME is not set
won't stop us from viewing your site, but it will make it easy for us to
switch browsers or make sure a crash won't make us lose work.

Note, it is easy to check the MIME youself and
there are two ways to check it from your desktop:
1)http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ts/documents/mimetype_check.htm
2) The second way is a special set of test files to upload to your
server to make it quick and easy to keep checking the MIME while you are
waiting for the administrator to set the MIME.
http://www.FlashCentral.com/Tech/Server/MIME_Test.htm

If you have any questions about whether the MIME is setup correctly,
upload the test files and relay the URL to the person responsible for
getting the MIME set. The test files provide a unequivocal answer to
whether the MIME is set or not.

For more info on setting the MIME type, go to
http://www.FlashCentral.com/Tech/Server/index.htm.