Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash making QuickTime--why so little support anddevelopment?
From: Bryan Rieger
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 01:57:41 +0100

on 5/2/00 8:25 PM, Damian Morton at mortonatdennisinter [dot] com wrote:

> If only flah had multiple heirarchical timelines like flash does.... I might
> even be tempted to work in QT only. As it is, QT only has one timeline, and
> sprite layers, which dont benefit from the varieties of compression that the
> rest of QT does.

Actually QuickTime does support multiple timelines now using Movie in a
Movie - the easiest way to use this is through LiveStage Pro 2.1 (now in
Beta). Also, you can apply various codecs to various sprite samples - not to
mention the ability to over ride sprites with video or flash tracks. For
instance you can apply an 'Animation' codec to one sample, and 'Sorenson' to
another that is being overridden by a video track.

> In a few years, people will look back on QT as being way ahead of its time,
> as with many Apple technologies.

Apple really need to wake up and look at what a great architecture they have
built, and further develop it where it's real power lies (sprites, movie in
a movie, flash tracks) instead of focusing on the streaming video market.

> Can we have QT in Flash ratehr than Flash in QT? That would be very very
> nice thank you very much.

I'd be happy with either solution - as long as it worked and was very, very
stable.

Cheers,

Bryan Rieger

flasher is generously supported by...