Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash making QuickTime--why so little support anddevelopment?
From: Bryan Rieger
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 16:56:37 +0100

on 5/3/00 10:55 AM, Damian Morton at mortonatdennisinter [dot] com wrote:
> Heh - over the weekend huh? I think theres a long weekend coming up soon :)

Should be plenty of time to deliver a FC. ;-)

> Im conceiving of a development environment so maleable that I can customise
> it to the extent that I can deliver to my clients an extended, simplified
> and refined version of the development environment that I use.

Hmmm...are you looking at a simple administration type tool, or a complete
way to let the client extend the title themselves?

> Over and over again, I find clients that dont want multimedia delivered and
> have that be the end of the story. Many clients want to be able to change
> and re-arrange the multimedia they are delivered, and they want to be able
> to do it themselves. Frankly, I do too, because the changes are usually
> minor and it can be a huge undertaking to open up an old project to find and
> change some piddling detail.

I think most developers would agree that this is a monumental pain.
But most clients don't want to know anything about programming, scripting,
authoring,image optimization, video compression or anything else that is
necessary. It would be a huge task to make the application smart enough to
know what the user is trying to accomplish. And where would it end?

For instance the client wants to move a video clip, but then decides that
they want to create a flashy 3D intro with a lens flare (God knows why...)
just a small 3 second intro (minor detail) - in the ideal app there would be
a way to create the 3D object, render it, composite the video, add effects,
compress and integrate within the presentation. All without making the end
user feel as though they are doing anything technical at all.

> Anyway, C++ isnt the language for this kind of thing. It doesnt have enough
> introspection capabilities. Im not sure what language is best, probably lisp
> or one of its ilk.

I have no idea how to even beging to look at this, but it's nice to dream...

> Anyway, enough blue-sky dreaming for now. Back to the grind....

Agreed.

Bryan Rieger
Developer/Collaborator

Trapeze Media