Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash making QuickTime--why so little support
From: Phillip Kerman
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 19:46:51 +0100

HyperCard? You can do way more with Director. At least I don't think
HyperCard can do any more.

The thing is, with the Flash layer you can have semi-transparent Flash
interactivity ON the video--plus it plays with the QuickTime player.

Maybe I'm missing something--but isn't HyperCard dead? (Not supported that
is.)

Phillip

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 12:24:11 -0400
> From: "Catherine Kunicki" <catcatdot [dot] com>
> Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash making QuickTime--why so little support
> and development?
>
> umm. This might sound heretical, but have you tried HyperCard? The person
> who has been writing HyperCard for the past few versions is a
> member of the
> Quicktime team and HyperCard support for quicktime is pretty
> good. Its also
> simple enough that clients - with a suitable help system - should
> be able to
> do changes themselves. HyperCard has been a means Apple has used
> internally to test Quicktime features.
>
> QT in HC supports sprites, the text track, the music track, QTVR, url
> encoding (with InternetConfig installed), alpha and other color or video
> commands, matrix scriptability and some other stuff. You can get
> pretty good
> results if you're clever.
>
> Drawbacks to QT in HyperCard -
>
> 1) Mac only
> 2) the QT commands don't directly support clickable hot spots,
> although you
> can define them yourself. They kept this stuff for LiveStage only I guess.
> 3) HC my not be supported in OSX.
> 4) no web delivery of interactive elements
>
> Worth a look, anyhow. And of course, a joy to script in a language that is
> as elegant as HyperTalk.
>
> Catherine
>
> ps. you also might take a look at MetaCard (a HC clone) , which
> has versions
> for Mac, PC and UNIX.

flasher is generously supported by...