Subject: Re: FLASH: CD Rom production - Director is so bogus
From: Phillip Kerman
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 23:26:29 +0100

Ever since version 4 of Director has the file format been binary compatible
between Mac and Windows.

I would suggest that instead of thinking the second copy of Director you
must buy is $800 for duplicate software... rather, consider that to do cross
platform work it's going to cost about $1600 (although Macromedia does offer
some savings when buying both versions).

What's your complaint? That it would be easy for Director to output both a
Windows and Mac projector? So what? It looks like people are providing
stub projectors to do this--though I doubt they offer much guarantee that it
always works (which was JD's point--I think).

So why doesn't Macromedia provide this free? It's their business. Consider
they provide all the information on how it works in a pretty forthcoming
way.

--Flash can create projectors for either platform when you buy one copy.
--Director can't.
--Authorware has a Mac Player (which is free, by the way).

Why hasn't this thread become a complaint that Director costs too much?
After all, it's more than twice the cost of Flash? I'm really most surprised
this hasn't turned into a thread about "which is better: Flash or Director?"

Another thing I don't get about the post... who says people are using
Director for simple things? The time to use Director is when it's super
complicated or you want to reach-out to external files (and other
applications). It really is a case of comparing apples to oranges.

Finally, Director's paint window is obviously not Photoshop... and
personally, I'm glad Macromedia has spent time making Director better in
OTHER ways than simply improving the paint window (of course the graphics
people with whom I work have Photoshop...so what's the point?).

Phillip

> Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 13:14:57 -0700
> From: "Michael@BTW" <mplistatbigtimeweb [dot] com>
> Subject: Re: FLASH: CD Rom production - Director is so bogus
>
> Director has _never_ had the ability to do 'this' (output projectors for
> both platforms on one). Considering what the majority of what people are
> being told to use director rather than flash for on this list--> simple
> image/sound presentations, its not really difficult at all to create a
> projector on one platform that will run w/o requiring 're-authoring' using
> an ~800$ duplicate of the software you already own.
>

> > Director has always been this way and Flash has just had the
> ability to do
> > this since version 4.You can author shockwave cross platform.
> >
> > The price for both platforms is also worth every penny:)
> >
> > Michael
> >

> Anyway, if "Director has always been this way" was a reason for
> Director to
> remain 'this way', we'd still be using the same paint window we used in
> Director 4. O wait....

flasher is generously supported by...