Subject: FLASH: CD ROM and Director con't
From: Jefferis
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 17:34:08 +0100

Okay, so from my starting the previous thread, I've culled a basic thrust
from MM that Director's output options are so vast that on different OS's
it isn't possible to create a unified program...etc.

That makes me wonder... If I became an accomplished Director user on the
Mac, I would totally incompetent on the WIN version? I could use the
techniques but I'd have to study WIN programming to make it work???

The only thing it would be good for me is - not CD's or Kiosks [unless
it happened to be a Mac Kiosk} - but for Shockwave productions. Sure,
if I were producing a Mac Game CD or Mac only environment production, it
would work, but if I needed to do something cross platform for a client..
I am SOL. Hire a Win programmer to do it, cause it isn't just the
program, you need to be totally 2 platform?

Is there then a better way to produce a self running CD ROM that is cross
platform that is merely a presentation and not a database integrated ASP
production or game?

Is it better to produce a Flash & HTML Browser CD ROM? Can't you
somehow get the advantages of a Powerpoint type environment [with menus]
without all the hassles?

What - use Acrobat with PDF's ? Does it allow hyperlinks with embedded
Flash?

Just curious if there isn't a low cost, non-programming way to do
something on CD that works on the Web.

Jeff

>Someone said something like, Director is often recommended on this list for
>simpler projects (and they're right, it is) where there might be a question
>of cost justification ($2,000 because they'll need it to be
>cross-compatable). I asked why they would recommend Director for *those*
>(simpler/less complex/less need for flexibility - choose your own term)
>projects and was given 3 perfectly reasonable responses (lotsa bitmaps, need
>for video, and a 400 frame pan - all things flash wouldn't handle well.) I
>was *trying* to go on from there and ask something like "do you not have
>enough of these simpler projects to justify a $2,000.00?" Are these really
>simplier projects? What is it the people who think director *should* output
>as both Mac/PC in the $1,000.00 program are really asking for?

Jefferis Peterson, Pres.
Flash and Web Design
http://www.PetersonSales.net
Tel & Fax. 724-458-7169