Subject: Re: FLASH: sound
From: Marc Hoffman, Poison Dart Frog Media
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 06:08:30 +0100

At 01:23 PM 5/21/2000 , you wrote:

>Hello:
>
>If someone knows something about sound, plese, help me to clarify this
>doubt
>
>What is the difference between sample rate and bit rate?
>I know that sample rate is the frequency of sampling of the sound that
>determines its quality (resolution) and defines in khz... bit rate
>apparently defines in bits or kbps but i don't know what it determines.

You are right about sample rate -- it's just the number of times per second
(1 kHz - 1,000 cycles per second) that the sound is measured. What digital
sound attempts to do is to record a sound wave as a series of numbers, each
measuring the wave at a moment in time. The more measurements per second,
the higher the fidelity, up to about 40kHz, beyond which there's probably
not a difference discernible to the human ear. A common analogy is to
imagine trying to draw a smoothly curved wave form on paper by using only
dots. The closer the dots are to each other, the more the drawing resembles
a smooth line rather than a series of disconnected dots. Think of sample
rate as the horizontal spacing of the dots.

Bit rate has to do with the range of values used to record each of those
measurements. Think of it as the vertical resolution of the dots in your
drawing -- more values to choose from means the vertical spacing is tighter
and smoother. Bit rate (known as bit depth in color theory) is the number
of binary digits used to store a single value. A bit rate of 2 would give
only four values to choose from for each measurement -- 0, 1, 2, or 3.
Obviously this would not give you a lot of range to measure the sound.
16-bit is the standard for CD quality. 8-bit is usually fine for music,
especially in multimedia where users aren't usually expecting the same
quality they hear playing a CD on a high-end stereo system. Depending on
what type of compression is used, 5-bit can also be okay for music. Lower
bit rates are usually good only for voice and sound effects that have lots
of noise in them already.

Hope this helps.

Marc Hoffman

Poison Dart Frog Media
Flash portfolio: http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/portfolio

flasher is generously supported by...
World Animation Celebration - Big Internet Animation Pow Wow Discount Offer

Register before May 25 mention flasher and save 25%!! www.wacfest.com

Be discovered, get a job or have your web series picked up. A big talent search for Shockwave
and Flash animators is happening May 30-June 4 in Hollywood. Featuring Rob Burgess, Matt
Groening, Brad Bird and more. www.wacfest.com