Subject: Re: FLASH: I'm looking for good Flash examples
From: John Croteau
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 1998 12:14:44 +0100

Hi Robert,

> I have a big wish for the Flash Player:
> It is very important for the user to have a full control about his
> browser and the plugins.
To expect that if you hit the stop button and the Flash animation will
stop and you will be able to see just HTML then the site must be an
HTML/Flash hybid site such as Marc Hoffman's
http://www.jps.net/dartfrog/sampler/. Not all sites should be all Flash
or even use many graphics but some are suited to this purpose and can
give the visitor a more pleasing visual experience. The Flash Tech
Resource (a part of Flash Central) is mostly straight HTML because it is
used to search for technical facts used in creating Flash not
demonstrating it. HTML is more efficient for this purpose.

> A lot of Flash designer use time delays or
> animations between the interactivities. It is very impolite to waste
> the time of the surfer. Time is money!
Many designers use animations and Wait-for-Frames to provide a visual
indication or amusement for a piece while it is downloading so their
animation will play as designed. Others just waste your time but I don't
believe you have the knowledge (at least not yet) to determine which is
which.

If you go to Flash Central and go to the Galleries you will notice an
introductary Animation and an introductary animation in the Gallaries if
you click a link in the Galleries you leave FC but when you return to
see another Gallery, the opening page reloads and the Splash animation
is minimized and when reclicking the Galleries button the Galleries
Intro animation is NOT replayed. Both of these are possible because the
pages are already loaded and though we would like to amuse our visitors
with a little animation making them see it again is not desired or
neccessary. Actually the designers are often upset that their concept is
modified to allow better accessibility to the site.

It is more difficult to leave a Flash presentation done in smooth Flash
possible soon without losing the integrety of the Flash site.

> My wish is please make it possible to skip over or to switch off this
> stupid stuff.
This may or may not be possible depending on the site designer's
implementation of what he wants to do. Putting in a bypass animation is
only possible sometimes. The decision is in the Flash designers hands
and not the users.

> A good user interface is for me:
> - NO time delays or animation between the interactivities. This is
> very impolite!
I agree I create Flash to stream and play virtually instantly under
normal Web conditions but I fill time with animation to try to make the
waiting process seem less like waiting. A Flashed site offers a more
visual experience than a plain HTML site but it may take longer
especially if you are in the habit of hitting the Stop button to
eliminate Graphics from loading.

> - The user have every time the full control over his browser. This
> mean he can stop animation or change to no Flash sides every time if
> he like.
It is possible to design a hybrid site (Flash & HTML) to do as you wish
but many sites are going to rely on Flash for all of their content. This
will change when there is a single downloadable Font sytem possibly in
generation 5 version browsers. Currently you have the option on many
sites to choose Flash or HTML. Other sites are not going to give you
that option and you don't have to visit them if you don't want to.

> I 'm looking for good Flash examples. I 'll teach Flash next week.
The only thing I can see you teaching about Flash is that people
shouldn't use it because it will waste everybodies time. What a shame.
Truly not every site should be done in Flash but you be surprised at how
many people actually look at the pictures.

In general well designed Flash sites (my definition not yours) that
stream and start playing quickly are rated by Web surfers as much more
desirable than plain HTML pages or pages made with standard .gif and
.jpg graphics (which you routinely bypass).

Need a PC ? -- Computer King --
http://www.crownmall.com/computers/