Subject: Re: FLASH: Need help on Flash CBT project
From: John Croteau
Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 20:32:28 GMT

Hi Stephen,

> Here's the project - I am developing a very basic online
> training program that uses "Yes/No" and "True/False" questions.
> I want to make it so than when the user clicks the correct or
> incorrect answer, a screen will pop up showing whether they selected
> the correct question. I was thinking about using "Go To" Scene,
> but Iwondering if there is a better way to do this.
If you want to keep score or add scoring later I would suggest not using
Scenes. The best way to track the score inside a movie is to use a Movie
Clip and this technique will not work if you use Scenes. You can use
Labels and/or Movie Clips to accomplish your task.

> I was also wondering if there is a way to use time responses in Flash.
> For example, if the user selects the correct question, I want a screen to
> pop up, telling them that they got the correct answer, and then a few
> seconds later, I want them to be transferred to the next question (either
> on another scene or URL).
You can use a Movie Clip with empty frames to create a time delay.

> I wonder if there is an FC command that could do this.
If you use FSCommand (i.e. JavaScript) you will be limiting the browsers
that will work with your presentation. JavaScript can definately
accomplish your tasks also but using Movie Clips in Flash is more
elegant and everyone with Flash 3 will be able to take the quiz. If you
want to record the results from Flash then you would have to communicate
with JavaScript but those browsers that are incapable of communication
would still be able to take the test but without the results being sent
automatically to JavaScript to be recorded (or whatever).

> And one last question - This project has 10-12 questions. All the artwork
> will be created in Flash, so the files should be small.
Sounds good.

Need a PC ? -- Computer King --
http://www.crownmall.com/computers/