Subject: FLASH: RE: FLash file tends to crash browser on a some PC's running Windows NT
From: Campbell, Clyde
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 09:56:32 +0100

Issue Description
-----------------
takes the user to various scenes and movies within the swf file. There is
no further connection to the server.
The file runs fine on all Windows 95 PC's, without exception, using IE3, 4
or 5.

Flash causes browser to crash in NT, I have tested the swf file on 7
different PCs running NT, and on 3 of them it works fine without freezing.
On the other 4 NT computers, the user can click on any button at least
once before the browser hangs. When this happens Task Manager informs the
user that Internet Explorer is not responding.

However, the CPU performance monitor says that Intenet Explorer is using
between 98% and 99% of the CPU's capacity! It seems to me that the system
has cached the file in a place specifically for Flash files, and has run
out of space.

This problem is browser independent, and still occurs when viewing the file
on a 1.44 stiffy disk. It is specifically an NT setting, as this only
happens on a few NT machines. This problem also has nothing to do with
Postscript fonts being used or not used!

Steps to Reproduce:
1)click on html URL to view the .swf file (embedded in ther html using Flash
4's publish settings)
2)allow browser to determine if flash 4 is installed in the browser (IE3 4
or 5)
3)click randomly on any buttons in the swf file

What went wrong:
The browser froze, I have to go to Task Manager to end task for Internet
Explorer.

Contact Information
Name: Clyde Campbell
Company: Services Configurations
E-Mail:clydecatnorwich [dot] co [dot] za

flasher is generously supported by...