Subject: RE: FLASH: Stats
From: Gregg Spiridellis
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 18:10:02 +0100

The answer is.... 83% (see press release below)

MACROMEDIA FLASH CONTENT VIEWABLE WORLDWIDE BY 83 PERCENT OF WEB USERS
Survey by Independent Web Research Firm Confirms Flash As Web Standard For
Delivery Of High-Impact, Vector-Based Web Sites

San Francisco, Ca—August 24, 1999—Macromedia, Inc. (NASDAQ: MACR) today
announced the results of a study by NPD Online Research, the parent company
of Media Metrix, an independent research organization which found more than
83 percent of Web browsers worldwide had the Flash Player installed,
enabling Web surfers to view Flash content without needing to download and
install a player. Flash is the standard for creating high-impact,
vector-based Web sites that deliver motion, sound, interactivity, and
graphics.

Flash provides more engaging content over static graphics formats like GIF
and JPG by delivering scalable Web vectors with streaming, immediate
delivery. More information on Flash Player penetration can be found on
Macromedia's Web site at http://www.flash.com/survey/.

Macromedia opened its Flash file format last year, allowing other companies
to both export the Flash file format or playback Flash content within their
applications. Macromedia has also entered into numerous distribution
agreements to ensure the ubiquity of Flash, which now ships with most
leading operating systems, media players, and Web browsers, including
Windows 98, Mac OS 8.6, America Online 4.0, WebTV, Apple QuickTime,
RealNetworks' RealPlayer, and current versions of Netscape Navigator and
Microsoft Internet Explorer. The Flash Player is freely available for
Macintosh, Windows, Solaris, Java, Linux, and IRIX platforms (see separate
release).

"Macromedia has focused on making Flash delivery ubiquitous, without
requiring users to download and install our software," said David Mendels,
senior vice president and general manager of Macromedia's Web Publishing
division. "This study finds those efforts have been successful so the vast
majority of Web users can experience the richness of Flash-based media as
seamlessly as they would other Web content."

"We have found that the Flash version of the sites we build are more
heavily-trafficked than the plain HTML version," said John Horn, director of
business development at Point of View, a Boston, Mass.-based Web development
firm which has developed Flash-based training and sites for Scudder
Investments, Schneider Electric, and dozens of others. "Flash provides a
higher-impact experience that better conveys information more effectively
than any other Web technology. This latest research from NPD proves that
Flash is truly a standard for vector-based Web sites and that Web browsers
can reliably experience these high-impact sites."

NPD Online Research, the parent company of Media Metrix, conducted a market
research study in June to determine what percentage of Web users could view
various graphic and media formats. The same survey was also performed with
Europe and Japan-only samples, yielding similar results. The new results
represent a six percentage point increase over a similar study conducted
four months earlier by King, Brown and Partners which had found 77% of all
Web users were equipped to view Macromedia Flash content without having to
retrieve a player.

The study polled a representative sample of Web users, who were asked to
access several Web pages and indicate whether they could view the media on
that page. After GIF and Flash—at 99.4 and 83.1 percent respectively—pages
containing Audio Video Interleaved (AVI) content were viewable by 41.9
percent of respondents, Adobe System's Portable Document Format (PDF)
content placed at 34.9 percent and other tested player-based streaming media
content was only viewable by less than 30 percent of survey respondents.