Subject: Re: FLASH: Dreamweaver Integration - question/problem
From: John Dowdell
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2000 02:06:25 +0100

At 5:27 AM 10/5/0, Jefferis Peterson wrote:
> FYI: I tried installing the new Flash 5 resources into MAC DW 3
> and DW became totally unusuable.

This is more a Dreamweaver issue, if anything. I'm not sure how it's not
unusable and so can't usefully advise, sorry. For "Does it work for other
people?" then yup.

> I am trying to understand how the templates in Flash for banner
> creation differ from the regular Flash with JS detection schemes
> in the Publish option. Is there anything different in the code?

Yes, you can open the Publish templates in Macromedia Flash, and examine or
edit the HTML and JavaScript yourself. (I'd recommend keeping a backup!)
There's a summary of each option in the Publish dialog itself.

> I know that the detection scripts fail on IE Mac, [and windows? ]

Detection scripts don't really "fail"... it's just that versions of IE/Mac
prior to the latest will not reveal what plugins the browser has. Most
scripts assume that no response means they're not installed, but you can
certainly choose a different strategy with the lack of response that
browser gives you.

> I CHECKED for MM tutorials and couldn't find anything in
> the Technotes through a search.

I'm not sure what you're searching for, but if it's "Do all the browsers
tell JavaScript what they can do?" then sorry, no... there are many
browsers and they each have their own edge cases.

For "What's the strongest detection you've seen?" then the new Flash
Deployment Kit is good, because it handles all JavaScript cases and also
includes my old "make the plugin jump" technique with a dummy SWF... it's
all packaged up on the site.

If I were designing a banner for a mass audience, though, then I'd probably
just publish a SWF4 file and scratch any lengthy detection routines... any
site that permits rich ads would likely have a demographic that matches net
norms.

jd

NudeGuru.com is proud to sponsor the Flasher list