Subject: Re: FLASH: Help! My game gun is shooting blanks...
From: John Petroshius
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 19:01:44 +0100

on 10/16/00 10:29 AM, Paul Willoughby at paul_willoughbyatbeap [dot] co [dot] uk wrote:

> Couple of things about your code look a bit weird John, for starters...
>
>> (inside the button itself there's an Up state, a Down state
>> with a gun sound
>> attached, and no Over or Hit state)...
>
> How do you mean no hit state? If there is no keyframe in the 'hit' frame
the
> hit state will be whatever was in the 'down' state frame. If you have a
> blank keyframe in the 'hit' state the button will do nothing as it has no
> hit area.
>
>> On (Release)
>> If (GetProperty("",_droptarget) eq "/Duck MC instance name")
>> Begin Tell Target ("/Duck MC instance name")
>> Play
>> End Tell Target
>> End If
>> End On
>
> You can't evaluate the _droptarget property without having stopped a drag
> first, normally like this:
>
> On (Release)
> Stop Drag
> If (GetProperty("",_droptarget) eq "/Duck MC instance name") etc etc.
>
> Is that included in your code somewhere? Anyway, your method seems a
little
> over complex. Wouldn't it be better to put an invisible button on your
duck
> and then kill it if the user manages to press it. There's no need for
> dragging and dropping targets for a simple shooter like this.
>
> hth
>
> paul

Hi Paul

Thanks very much for looking at the code and all! I hadn't thought about an
invisible button!...I tried it and so far it seems to be working fine...

...the game is a bit more complex than I mentioned, though, and I keep
having these Tell Target problems whenever I turn around and tackle the next
element...

...for example, we plan on using several instances of the main Duck MC,
flying across the sky from right to left...the MC will be a "bullet" as well
as a target, though...

...the Ducks are randomly initiated on the right side of the stage, with
random speeds, random "latitudes" running halfway down the height of the
stage, and they'll have random trajectory angles that will point some of the
Ducks down toward the Hunter on the far bottom left of the stage...so if the
Hunter doesn't kill the incoming Ducks (actually the User will be in control
of the cursor/gunsight), they will kill HIM...

...the Ducks only have one Death MC to play when they are hit, but the
Hunter has five different ways he can die, all of which will be activated
randomly...one problem I'm having now is setting up the Tell Targets in the
incoming Ducks to activate these death MC's sitting in the Hunter, and to do
it in a random fashion...

...and not only must the Hunter die randomly, but he can't die the SAME
death until he runs through all five deaths (we've been scrathing our head
over how to code THAT)...so we have our work cut out for us, seeing as how
my partner and I are relative newbies to Flash...

but again, thanks very much, we're indebted to you...

John Petroshius
Prairie Studio
847-675-5790
johnatprairiestudio [dot] com

NudeGuru.com is proud to sponsor the Flasher list