Subject: Re: FLASH: Flash4 to Flash5
From: Gregg Caines
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 01:33:38 +0100

FWIW:

I had it crashing on IE 5.5 (with the F5 player) on NT in a table when I
pressed a button
that used GetURL. The button would work the first time and crash the second
time. I
had numerous similar buttons, but that was the only one that crashed.

Unfortunately I can't show any samples, because it was quite a while ago,
and I've since
changed the format to work without tables but the same SWF worked perfectly
in Flash 4
players in netscape 2,3,4,and 6, opera 4, and IE 3, 4, 5 on assorted Windows
machines. For
the record, I reinstalled the Flash 5 player on the NT machine a few times,
but I never tried
the Flash 5 on a different machine. I concluded that it was the table issue
though, after the
same SWF worked fine without the surrounding table.

The framerate thing is definitely an improvement in my opinion though.
Optimizing for
bandwidth AND the processor was already frustrating enough.

Gregg Caines
n e o m e t r i x systems inc.
http://www.neometrixsystems.com
gcainesatneometrixsystems [dot] com

> At 9:12 AM 10/23/0, David Gee wrote:
> >" Flash content in a table cell crashes Internet Explorer 5.5 on PC Flash
> >content embedded in a table cell may cause crashing of Internet Explorer
5.5
> >with the Macromedia Flash Player 5. "
> >
> >okay, i'm sorry, but that's completely unforgivable.
>

> ... and it's stupid wording too. We're working on getting it removed.
There
> *is* a way to get it to fail in that situation, with specific table
> attributes in one particular IE/Win on a version of Win98, and that's what
> the engineers passed along, but it's by no means as prevalent as what that
> particular wording makes it sound like. Matter of fact, I haven't seen
this
> symptom arise even once on this list.
>
> It's an iatrogenic issue... more problems arise from that technote's
> wording than from the actual combination of cofactors in that browser
> itself. Folks are working now to get that scary technote fixed, sorry.
>
> (And yes, if you set a high framerate before, then you may more often
reach
> it now. If you're seeing a speedup then you would have seen it in the old
> player on faster machines anyway. Choose the framerate you want rather
than
> setting the framerate as high as possible.)
>
> jd

NudeGuru.com is proud to sponsor the Flasher list