Subject: FLASH: Generator 2 and Flash 4 capabilities and limitations
From: James Mansfield
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 04:57:25 +0100

Title: Generator 2 and Flash 4 capabilities and limitations

Hi Again

We are trying to work out what Generator 2 can do that Flash 4 can not do in communicating with a database of information and displaying that information. What does Generator do that Flash 4 can not do? If Flash 4 can read information from an external data source and change functions within the swf according to this information then what is generators role? I realise generator can export the combined information in different formats such as GIFs JPEGs etc and this can not be done by a flash document itself but as for combining media elements within a flash movie a flash 4 swf can do this if my thinking is correct.

One thing I am very keen to learn is if Generator can also have dynamically generated functions attached to the dynamically generated content. Can a button dynamically created through generator by also assigned a flash function dynamically??

I have been trying to get my head around the capabilities and limits of both Flash 4 and Generator 2 and trying to work out which would be better in certain instances. If anyone can help me in making these capabilities clearer it would be much appreciated.

Thanx in advance
James Mansfield