Subject: Re: FLASH: Help with advanced targeting, if you please...
From: John Croteau
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 09:17:07 +0100

Hi Douglas,

> ON PRESS GOTO AND PLAY HIT, the hit label has a frame
> action that takes you where you need to go in the main movie with a
> TELL TARGET ../GOTO AND PLAY FRAME 10.

> This worked beautifully until...
>
> I added a scene above the main movie scene for the purposes of a
> pre-loader.
> Now when the button hidden in the home clip is pressed it targets the
> first scene (preloader) and plays frame 10 of that scene, rather than
> frame 10 of my main movie scene. DOH!!!
This is correct.

> Can I target a specific scene from a movie clip?
Nopr Scenes are unknown to SWF files or movie clips.

> The way I worked around it is by targeting a hidden frame in the loader
> that has an action boosting you back to the main movie (scene two) at
> frame 10.
> It works fine... but is there a better way?
Sure, there are several 'better' ways.

1) DON'T use scenes
2) Use a Label for the Scene 2 frame make sure it is not used in any
other Scenes then Tell Target using that Label name.
3) Count the frames as if the movie is one long scene and target that
frame number.

If you mean to refer to the main timeline use / and not ../
/ refers to the root or the main timeline in the current movie.
../ refers to a timeline one timeline closer to the the main timeline.
In your sample, case they both happen to refer to the same timeline.
More on Paths --> http://www.FlashBible.com/members/TellTarget/