Subject: Re: FLASH: BG Music Crackles
From: John Croteau
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 1999 10:44:51 +0100

Hi Matthew,

> On my page, you can choose the soundtrack you want to play in the background
> (or no music at all). You can choose either the "Imperial March", "Medal
> Ceremony", or "Luke Skywalker's Theme".
>
> Both the Skywalker Theme and the Medal Ceremony song sound fine streaming.
> The Imperial March Theme was okay at one time. But now, every time I
> republish the file with the streaming audio, there is a crackling sound that
> comes up from time to time in playback. Sounds like crap. I've tried
> publishing it at various degrees of MP3 compression, as well as full on
> hardcore uncompressed wav audio, but to no avail. Still the same annoying
> crackling noise.
First when publishing MP3 for the Web always use Fast (not Best for
Quality). You will not get Best Quality on the Web, if you export as
Best.

Second if this sound was originally compressed digitally such as with
MP3 you are going to have artifacts and the sound will not recompress as
well as the original tracks brought in that were never compressed with a
lossy system such as MP3. If this sounds familiar, like the JPEG warning
for Flash 3, it is because it is the same type of problem.