Subject: Re: FLASH: Animated (back and forth) buttons
From: Marc Hoffman (Dart Frog Media)
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 14:46:03 +0100

At 09:34 AM 9/8/99 +0000, you wrote:
>> > Does anyone would be so kind to explain me how to create an animated
>>button
>> > that plays the animation forward when a mouse-over event occurs, and a
>>plays
>> > the same animation backwards when a roll out event occurs?
>> > i'm using flash 4 trial version
>>Make a copy of the animation and place it on a new spot on your
>>timeline, highlight the frames and use use reverse frames to flip the
>>frames around. It the animatioin uses tweens then you may have to redo
>>the tweens for reverse.
>>John Croteau

>I thank you, John, but my problem is slightly different than just reversing
>an animation.
>I come from threeD graphics and video editing, and i'm well acquainted with
>keyframes and revers motion :)
>The problem is to assign the new (part) of the animation, placed in the same
>timeline of the rollover (Fwd playing) animation, to the rollOut action.
>I hope that the only way to do this is not calling another movie placed over
>the old one...

Hi Lele,
John's reply has the information you need, however this can be a confusing
area until you get more familiar with it. It will get easier.

Using John's scheme, you will have a movie clip with two animation
sequences in the timeline: one forward, one reverse. Probably you'll want
each sequence to loop within itself, requiring a frame action at the end of
each sequence that returns playback to the first frame of that sequence.
You will place the movie clip on the main timeline, not in the button
timeline, and use instance actions of the button (rollover, rollout) to
TellTaget the movie clip to go to the start frame for the correct sequence.
Write us if you don't know how to use TellTarget yet.

Understand that rollout means "when the mouse cursor leaves the hot area,"
so the rollout action will continue indefinitely until the user rolls over
again or triggers some action to stop it (possibly a hidden button
surrounding a buffer zone outside the visible button).

Marc Hoffman

marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com (mailto:marcatdartfrogmedia [dot] com).
My Flash Portfolio: <http://www.dartfrogmedia.com/sampler>
(featured in Flash 3 Web Animation, by Ken Milburn)