Subject: Re: FLASH: Copyrights
From: Jason
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 09:37:28 +0100

Hi,

Copyright is very strict. I would advise you to avoid using Warner Bros
characters without their prior written permission (Warner Bros, that is, not
the character ;-). This would be a breach of their copyright and is illegal.
They and Disney are not known for being lenient about this kind of thing. This
sounds harsh but, although at the moment people are breaching copyright on the
web with relative impunity and we therefore see Winnie the Pooh and Mickey
Mouse used (illegally) all over the place, this situation will not last long.
This is a big risk for you to take. My advice is to find an artist on the web
who would allow you to use his/her artwork for free.

Jason BARNARD

Cheri Harder wrote:

> Where would be a good source of information regarding copyright of cartoon
> characters and recognizable cartoon character sounds? If I were to draw
> Mickey Mouse should I credit Disney? If I were to "trace" someone elses
> drawing of Mickey Mouse, who do I credit? Reason I ask is I made a fun
> demonstration of the "stretching" scale effect using a traced drawing (not
> my drawing) of Warner Bros. chartoon characters and don't wish to get in
> trouble by publishing it as a demo. I don't know if I just need to give
> credit to Warner Bros, state its purpose as educational and not-for-profit,
> or not use it at all....Guidelines anywhere? I really need to get more info
> on this type of thing especially since my own artistic talent is NIL (or is
> that Null?) :0)
>
> TIA
>
> ~~~~Cheri Harder~~~~~
> Advantage Web Solutions
> http://members.home.com/cherica
> mail to:AdvantageWebSolutionsatHome [dot] com

> For info on digest mode send: info flasher to list-manageratchinwag [dot] com

-- Around the world in 12 songs with Boowa and Kwala -
http://www.boowakwala.com
A big blue dog and a strange yellow animal will help kids with their first
clicks on the internet.
Every month during 1999 kids will find a chapter of their tale, a song, some
games and the Boowa and Kwala Club.

Le tour du monde de Boowa et Quoila en 12 chansons - http://www.boowaquoila.com

Nos deux adorables personnages, Boowa et Quoila, accompagnent les tout-petits
pour leur premiers pas sur l'internet.
Des animations, de la musique, des bruitages, des surprises a cliquer...
Parfait pour les tout-petits !