Subject: Re: FLASH: Dumb newbie question
From: John Dowdell
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 20:48:36 +0100

At 10:42 AM 9/11/0, Kristopher Wainwright wrote:
>Scene 1 has a button that takes you to Scene 2 (the
>main page) and the first button on Scene 2 is supposed
>to take you to the begining of Scene 3. Instead, it
>takes you back to Scene 1. Keep in mind that the EXE
>works like it's supposed to, and the SWF is where this
>problem is occuring. What am I doing wrong ?

Please, no need to put yourself down! This is a very new field, and even
the old hands have been doing this for only two years or so. We're all
having to learn new stuff every day, so keeping a positive attitude seems
to be the best overall way to surf over the ever-expanding range of things
to learn.

I'm not sure what the problem is in the above description. A great standard
troubleshooting device is the one-or-all-files test... make a simple
representation of what you suspect the core problem to be. If this also
shows the problem then you've isolated the correct details. If the
barebones example works, though, then you've got a proof-of-concept for the
larger idea, and can then gradually make the small success and large
failure more like each other until you identify the part which caused the
initial problem.

(The above gets typed out _A LOT_ on this and other lists... whittling away
parts of the problem and poking at it can save much, much time in the long
run.)

For "How might a button go to the wrong scene?" then I'd wonder whether
perhaps the script was overly tricky, or perhaps there's a naming issue, or
perhaps the file is streaming in and the target is not yet available, or
perhaps an old copy of the movie is stuck in the browser's cache... could
be a couple of ways to get such a symptom, and I'm not confident I could
imagine them all. You should expect to have basic navigational actions work
as you expect, though... there are no lurking issues there, if that context
is of help.

fwiw, many folks no longer use scenes, particularly as projects become more
complex, but that's more an individual decision than a hard-and-fast
rule... you can go either way.

I'm sorry I don't know what the hidden cause of the discrepancy is in that
movie there, but the above are some of the things to come to mind, if that
helps you move forward in this project.

jd

NudeGuru.com is proud to sponsor the Flasher list