Subject: Re: FLASH: flash site stats? Again, again. Is this a bad question or what?
From: Helen Triolo
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2000 19:23:50 +0100

Gregg Caines gave a good answer on Tuesday. Were there parts you want
clarified?

Gregg's post:

If you use 'load movie' for the various sections of your site (and load
separate SWFs for each section), then you can count those files as
you normally would count any HTML page views...

If it's all one SWF (and none are loaded into it) then you could use
GetURL to post variables to some server-side middleware like ASP,
JSP, PHP, CGI, Cold Fusion, etc that can then increment a value in a
backend database or a plain text file. Just do the GetURL anytime
the user accesses a portion of the site of which you want to keep track.
There's no need to use actionscript to store these counts in the running
SWF file.

Jorge wrote:

> If this question is not appropriate for this list, can someone tell me
> where the question can be posed?
>
> Hi there,
>
> I do not know much about anything on this net stuff but I am poking
> around more
> and more.
>
> I checked the stats on my site and noticed that you can see what links
> and files
> have been downloaded. Is there a way to monitor which links users click
> on? I was
> lucky to notice that loaded movies are files so I can monitor that way
> but I do
> not think that people use that as a method. So the question is: if you
> have a
> "site" made of one swf with many little links within it, how can you
> track what is
> being pressed where and at what times?
>
> I imagine that one can make some kind of counter dudad and then do some
> kind of
> action scripting to submit these variables but I do not know a.s. yet.
> So how is
> it done otherwise?
>
> Jorge

NudeGuru.com is proud to sponsor the Flasher list