Subject: Re: FLASH: Current time
From: John Dowdell
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 22:43:30 +0100

At 8:59 AM 9/25/0, David Wallach wrote:
>I now have 2 clients who have gone to the mm plugin download page only to
>get the flash 4 plugin again?!?!?!?! Can you say 'two clients who wont pay
>for more flash' ?
>What is the story with that? why does the page claim to be installing the
>flash5 and shock8, and NOT install the flash 5 plugin? is there an
>alternative url? telling every one to got to the 'download other players'
>page is unexceptable, isnt it?

For the original thread, Randy typed out both scenarios for you... if in
F5, then read up on "date"; if in previous versions then that comes up each
week here and JavaScript can do it but not in all browsers, but setting up
a CGI on your server can get predictable time (if you've already studied up
on "loadvariables").

For your post above, most people get the current Player... if they didn't,
it might have been noticed by now. Therefore when you're troubleshooting
that case you should look at the particulars in your situation, so that at
worst you could ask others something about shared experience, rather than
just challenging everyone else to guess how you might be seeing something
no one else sees.

For "How might I think the Macromedia site is only offering the Macromedia
Flash Player 4?" then possible ways include, but are not limited, to:
specifying an URL for the old player rather than the current player;
running in IE/Win and also keeping the F4 Player active while installing
and also not letting the computer restart as it requests; reporting error;
invalid assessment of which player is installed; an inaccurate JavaScript
detection routine... there could definitely be other ways to get such an
impression, but the above are the ones I'm most readily able to imagine, if
that context might be of use while you investigate the symptom.

jd

NudeGuru.com is proud to sponsor the Flasher list