Subject: Re: FLASH: getting .swf to know URL
From: Gregg Caines
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 14:56:14 +0100

There's really no need to 'load variables' if the page will have
the variable in it (I'm assuming you're using some server side
scripting like ASP, JSP, PHP, CGI, etc...) You can just use
the querystring method to pass the variable right in to Flash
automatically.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/ts/documents/set_variables.htm#query
string

Gregg Caines
n e o m e t r i x systems inc.
http://www.neometrixsystems.com
gcainesatneometrixsystems [dot] com

> Here's a tricky one for the strong of heart.
>
> Background:
> I'm working on this project that has both html and flash elements. The
> navigation consists of multiple (about 4 at this point) swf files that
open and
> close etc in a fairly normal way (rollover and the subnav rolls down, roll
out
> and the subnav rolls up).
>
> Issue:
> Should a visitor click on one of the links contained in the flash nav, it
will
> load a new page. The default state for any nav is rolled up (ie condensed
with
> just the main link visible). However, if you're in a section that belongs
to the
> link, the state of the nav will be rolled down (showing all the possible
subnav
> items within the section). Since this is a new page, I need the individual
nav
> swf files to know what the URL of the page that called them is. The swf
needs to
> know where it is.
>
> Possible solution:
> I'm thinking I need to load variables from the page that called the swf
and run
> an if/then set-up (if the swf is called from the home page it sets itself
to a
> state that's appropriate for the home page, etc.). I've never done that
one
> before and am not sure it's possible. Can a swf load a variable from the
page
> that loaded the swf itself? Will this be screwed up by caching? Am I in
for a
> nasty surprise? Should I rethink the whole structure?
>
> Thanks for any insight into my question. I'll donate the source code to
the
> collective good if I can get it to work.

> Gahlord Dewald
> Weeds Media Consortium
> Hoops of Fire. Dancing Bears.
> Interactive Designers.
> http://www.weedsmedia.com

NudeGuru.com is proud to sponsor the Flasher list