Subject: Re: UKNM: Online grocery retail - was .com vs .co.uk
From: Rory Teeling
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 14:54:41 +0100

Maybe another significant reason grocery retailers
will find it difficult to move into the online arena
is their role in the social infrastructure of the UK,
and the attendant expectations of their customers.

For many people, and increasingly so, it is one of the
last places of real social interaction with ones
'community' left.

Grocery retailers themselves recognise this to varying
degrees, and the introduction of themed shopping
experiences (Tesco Metro singles nights etc) and even
Creches is a reflection of this.

Not for nothing are grocery retailers often referred
to as 'Cathedrals' and 'Churches' of shopping. This
community function was one of the great mainstays of
the Church in the past, and the retailers have
increasingly picked up this societal need as church
attendance has decreased.

--- Ray Taylor <rayateyeconomy [dot] com> wrote:
> From: Jo Chipchase <joatcan-u-hack-it [dot] com>
>
> > I think the .co.uk name change strategy may
> confuse consumers, leading
> some
> > to think it's a Net business, and detracting from
> the stores. For
> example,
> > it would confuse my non-surfing Mum... so perhaps
> Mum wouldn't go to
> > Iceland after all.
> >

> Jo may well be right. But you might equally say that
> they are trying to get
> ahead of the game by educating consumers and/or
> setting up store for the
> future consumer.
[Sam says: msg chopped...]