Subject: Re: UKNM: one-stop-shop
From: Mark Walker
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 00:18:38 GMT

Dear Mr Fonze

You may find people willing to partner you from the not-for-profit sector
as part of the process of 'widening participation in the information
society' (ie working with net newbies).

We have these things on our shopping list and have routes to funding only
available to non-profit organisations. Customer service is still important
(as mentioned in other replies) so we are looking for expertise and
partnerships to build systems such as these, whether for people in Sussex
or further afield (ie Sussex by default).

Our aim is to have an open system which is not driven by profit (but may
include charges). If we own it we decide who gets it free and who pays for
it. A key element for us is the crossover between online community services
and online economic activity (small local businesses becoming established
online) so ecommerce-ability is the possibly the biggest factor in our
world at the mo'. A one-stop approach isn't as important as a combination
of 'in-house' services and pointers/partnerships with other providers.

Few TECs, local councils or others charged with such affairs can see
further than spending money on setting up 'computer centres' at the moment,
but people at the Home Office and DTI seem to be getting more involved in
the stuff we do, so maybe we can think big with government bucks?

Happy to explain more if you wish.

Ralph Malph

>hi uknm's
>
>suppose that a company wished to set up a one-stop-shop for net newbies.
>there are certain obvious features that can be offered such as:
>
>-full internet access
>-POP3 email
>-web hosting
>-web-based site builder application
>-hosted e-shop and catalogue application
>-ad-serving software
>
>but what else could turn an average offering into something really special?
>(making it ALL FREE would be nice, but i've checked and it seems to do
>something nasty to the cashflow forecast???)
>
>your opinions welcomed and valued.

Sussex Community Internet Project http://www.scip.org.uk
Harnessing the power of new technology for the benefit of the whole community

SCIP, Community Base, 113 Queens Road, Brighton BN1 3XG
Tel 01273 234049 Fax 020 7681 2022 (JFax) Mobile 0961 346613

SCIP was founded in 1995 and is now registered as an incorporated not for
profit private limited company, reg. no. 3819836.