Subject: re: Re: UKNM: mac cover discs
From: ben
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 1999 16:51:27 GMT

ahhh... now I understand... so this DVD thing then is just a stillborn development of old
fashioned technology? I guess that means that Apple have totally shot themselves in the foot
with (what I stupidly thought) that fabulous option of DVD playing fullscreen movie
entertainment on their latest machines... Poor fools, and just when they had started to use
such pretty colours!

This must mean that the absolute limit of New Media design is what can be downloaded over
that trusty 28.8 and viewed through a browser... Therefore digital video (which I suppose is
another ancient and therefore worthless part of New Media) must be viewed on positively
prehistoric TV and video, roughly approximated through Real technologies, or waited an
hour for with Quicktime or Mpeg?

Sorry Stefan, but bog standard CDs are still a convenient way of carrying a stack of info
without spending four days downloading the bloody stuff... When real (as distinct from
promised/hinted at/divined from the gizzards of a lark) broadband/telco technologies allow
me to download 650Mb for free at the drop of a hat, I'll believe that the CD on the cover of
a mag is a waste of space.

As it is, the nice man from New Media Creative did a very good job of explaining to me why
they don't use one. I believe him in their case, I don't believe that a whole New Medium has
suddenly 'died'...

This interweb thing just isn't that great yet ;-)

Ben