Subject: RE: UKNM: Toys R US - site, outdated - who does it???
From: Paul Durrant
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 12:02:04 GMT

Peter Shankman wrote
>>Exactly, Ian. Would YOU want to be the web shop that says "Well, we can do
>>a great site for you, be prepared to see your floor traffic drop 25% as a
>>result." :)

Agreed in principle but is 25% likely and if so when? That's what the
store owners and consultants slighted earlier in this thread have to
weigh up. It's very easy for us, who make their living touting this
infant medium, to be so sneering about the "old" stores and us
consultants who have to deal with them.

Yes the stores should be on the Web to retain custom and there's no
excuse for bad service on the web or instore. But some realism please.

25% and way more is feasible for software and electronically
distributable information and maybe for books and such like that can
fit through your letterbox. But I seriously question the level for
"physical" goods.

At the end of the day shopping through the Web for hard goods, has all
the same pain that other forms of remote shopping have. Can't really
see or feel what you're actually buying, can't try it on, two weeks 'til
it's delivered, you're out when it arrives, got to go to the mail depot
to collect it (or make telephone arrangements with some unreliable
courier company), when you get it it's not what you expected, hassel of
repacking it, few Web traders will collect it, so you trot off to the
local post office (which is always closed when you can get to it), then
you find it costs £7.50 to post it, if you're lucky you get credited
for the original amount. And it goes on....

Mail delivered shopping by all the other order channels never shifted
more than 5% of hard goods, I believe its very dangerous thinking to
believe the Web is so very different, even though it integrates
browsing, price comparison and ordering - it doesn't integrate reality.
And the "old" stores have a lot of profits to make and shareholders to
keep pleased between now and when?